Time Management for Assistant Golf Professionals

February 27, 2011

A huge advantage of membership with Golf Business Network (GBN) is the contributions it receives from it's members. The membership consists of many golf professionals from very high profiles clubs, and with that comes a great pool of perspectives to draw upon. With regards to time management in the context of our job as a golf professional, time is a precious commodity, a commodity that we can not get back. The following article, authored by the GBN staff with contributions from GBN members, represents their take on the sensitive issue of time management.
____________________________________________________________________________

As we are all well aware there are only 24 hours in each day and we cannot get time back. Therefore, we’re all faced with the daily struggle to manage our time in the most efficient manner possible. Many of our Assistant Golf Professional members have inquired how our Head Golf Professionals effectively manage their time on a daily basis. After analyzing information from several Golf Professionals effectively managing your time can be separated into the following areas:
  • Starting the day.
  • Being visible to staff and membership.
  • Handling daily tasks including e-mail and calls.
  • Delegating assignments to staff.
Starting the day

This is an often overlooked area. Each day adjustments need to be made to the daily routine, so we asked head pros about how they start their day?

“Before I begin returning calls and emails, I tour the property to see that things are in order and make adjustments to my and my staff’s schedule if necessary. It’s also a good way to be seen by members and staff alike.” - Gene Mattare, Saucon Valley CC

“I always seek out the caddie master first thing in the morning so I am familiar with the play for the day. This will allow me the opportunity to reshape my day based on who will be on property.” - Bob Ford, Oakmont CC & Seminole GC

Being visible to staff and membership

“I start my day by reviewing the day’s play list and determining how I will be able to personally interact with each member before they play, during lunch or on the golf course.” - Dennis Satyshur, Caves Valley GC

“I’ll walk through the dining areas at lunch and frequently visit the practice range during events or heavy play days.” - Gene Mattare

“I will start the day off by walking through the club to see a few department heads and say hello to the people having breakfast. I take the time to do those things before I sit at my desk and start calling and replying to emails”. - Bob Ford

Handling Daily Tasks Including E-mail and Calls

“I personally try to return e-mails in 30-minute blocks. Chasing e-mails while working on another project delays that project from completion. Therefore, I will close Outlook so I do not see the e-mails coming through. In addition, I created a worksheet ‘hard card’ that assists in keeping me very organized. Now everything is in front of me and I carry it in my pocket. I can add to it during the day and it is up-dated each evening before I leave.” - Brendan Walsh, The Country Club

Delegating Assignments to Staff

“I don’t think any Golf Professional or successful manager can be successful unless they delegate effectively. It not only allows you to accomplish more work, but it also is an extremely important element of an Assistant Professional’s apprenticeship. In addition, I always try to hire intelligent, self motivators, who can be given a lot of room to make decisions as they mature.” - Gene Mattare

“Delegating effectively is without question a huge reason for my success. My team and I have established the responsibilities I must carry out myself and the decisions they can approve without my stamp of approval. It is imperative that this line is crystal clear with you and your staff.” - Bob Ford

“The right people look at tasks as opportunities. Therefore, I look to hire people with this attitude and who can apply it to their daily life. It seems this trait will make it easier for them to become a successful golf professional.” - Brendan Walsh

The Takeaway for Assistants?
  1. You must be organized each and every day, as well as being flexible to make adjustments.
  2. Develop a system for being visible to the members and guests at the club.
  3. There’s no substitute for hard work. Start each day early and end only when the day allows.
  4. Embrace responsibility when you are given a task.